Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Memory Vignette

Language has always been my main and foremost way to show my love for the people I care for; unfortunately, the time I made my language shine was when I was sixteen, my best friend was killed. My friend and I lived in a small town and became closer by the day. Every moment that I spent with her was amazing and she was one of the most wonderful people I ever had the blessing to know. Ana was taken away from me too soon when she was hit by a car in Loveland. Ana’s mother approached me after the school held a small memorial and asked me to help write Ana’s obituary. I mustered everything I had to not start balling at the thought of having to write and sum up my friend in a small article for some newspaper. After having said yes and having time to mull over why I said yes, I realized...my words were a chance at immortalizing my best friend; I decided she may be gone, but the words said and written about her would resinate in peoples minds day after day. This was a chance to give a last tribute to my best friend. I decided the words I would use to describe my friend would fall nothing short of spectacular, she deserved nothing less. After writing Ana’s obituary, her mother also asked me to read it at her funeral, this brought tears to my eyes. What a wonderful gift to give my loved ones and Ana, immortal words and memories of one of the most amazing girls the world ever knew.

5 comments:

  1. This is a very touching and heart breaking piece. I am so sorry for your loss. Your memory vignette is short and to the point. The complexities within the subject make it extremely powerful. It shows everyone how important and powerful language can be. People who do not see language as anything more than letters and words on paper would be given a different and impacting insight after reading your piece. Thank you for sharing this experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing this story. I can tell that you meant every word in this piece and I think we can all take something away from it. I never thought about how writing an obituary could demand so much of the author, both mentally, physically, and linguistically, especially if they are close to that person, as you obviously were. This is definitely something to think about and I am glad you shared your perspective as someone who knows what loss really feels like.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so sorry for your loss. The piece you wrote here is poignant and touching. It's so hard to get through something like this. Thank you for sharing this with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lindsey I was truely touched my your memory vignette. It takes a strong person to take away what you have from the loss of your friend and an even stronger person to be able to talk about it and share it with others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. :(
    sorry...


    "...my words were a chance at immortalizing my best friend"


    that's something sweet and it says about what kind of heart you possess

    :)

    ReplyDelete